it'll be great to have ability to execute shell commands via irc private messaging.
simple case (admin, one shell command, no execution timeout, blocking wait for the results) implemented, see patch attached.
Example of usage:
/bip shell uname -a
Linux rt-n16 188.8.131.52 #8 Sat Mar 19 21:53:29 YEKT 2011 mips GNU/Linux
the more better solution would be like following:
1. open one non-blocking shell pipe (or pseudo tty) per client connection with /bip shell [optional cmd]
2. poll shell output descriptor together with connection handles
3. notify client if any output is available
4. pass subsequent commands directly to the opened shell, if it's not closed yet
5. close shell pipe on timeout and/or with /bip shell exit (semantic would allow *sh exist as well and pipe will be closed)
Updated by Marc Dequènes almost 5 years ago
- Status changed from New to Rejected
First, this is complex and very security sensitive. It is also not the goal of this program, so we'd better not scatter resources in features other programs provides much better. And btw there is also a problem with running a shell as the bip user in a bip multiuser environment, except if you also wish bip to run as root and change user…
So sorry this won't make it.